The Problem with Mercury Amalgam FillingsMercury amalgam fillings are popular with many dentists, largely because the material is strong, durable, and inexpensive. The problem is, this type of amalgam is approximately 50% mercury, a substance that has well-documented toxic effects on the brain and other organs. For this reason alone, the use of mercury in amalgam fillings is an increasingly controversial issue, with many dentists opting to use other materials instead.
Mercury’s toxicity to humans isn't the only problem; however—there are also concerns over environmental toxicity caused by the disposal of amalgam waste. In the US, mercury amalgam disposal is largely unregulated, and it’s estimated that it may contribute up to a third of mercury waste in this country.
In purely aesthetic terms, mercury amalgam is less desirable these days because its dully silvery color doesn't match natural tooth shades, and over time amalgam fillings can cause discoloration in the surrounding tooth.
Biocompatible Fillings are the Solution
|Biocompatible composite fillings create a natural smile|
Due to the health concerns associated with mercury, we recommend that if you currently have mercury amalgam fillings, you have those fillings removed and replaced with biocompatible resin. Doing this means you won’t have to worry about the potentially toxic effects of mercury, and you’ll also benefit aesthetically with natural-looking tooth-colored fillings.
South Bay Dentistry & Orthodontics works to educate their patients to the best dental practices including preventative measures to best support oral health and limit effects on physical health conditions. Call the office today to find out more about how Biocompatible Resin improves overall health and aesthetics.